POLITICO: Hegseth again stuns Pentagon with Poland troop withdrawal

11:28 18.05.2026 •

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth
Photo: FOX news

Pete Hegseth’s last-minute decision to cancel the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland caught Pentagon staff and European allies by surprise — the latest example of an abrupt personnel move from the Defense secretary that blindsided both sides of the Atlantic, POLITICO stresses.

It wasn’t clear exactly why Hegseth issued the order, according to three defense officials familiar with the matter. President Donald Trump has repeatedly expressed anger and frustration with European allies for their failure to help with the Iran war, although Trump has labeled Poland a “model ally” for its high defense spending.

The decision was even more surprising because troops and equipment had already started to arrive in the country. It sent fresh waves of anxiety through European capitals and inside the Pentagon on Thursday — and which ally might turn into the next target.

“We had no idea this was coming,” said one of the U.S. officials, adding that European and American officials have spent the last 24 hours on the phone trying to understand the decision and figure out if more surprises are coming.

The move follows Hegseth’s announcement this month that the Pentagon would withdraw 5,000 troops from bases in Germany. But that decision followed through on a threat Trump made after German Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the U.S. was “humiliating” itself with the conflict in Iran.

The 4,000 Texas-based troops were preparing to leave on a long-planned nine month rotation to Poland that includes training with NATO allies when the order to halt came through. The cancellation of this routine mission is especially unusual given that American troops stationed on the continent are a key deterrent to Russia. Trump has insisted that Europe will have to fend for itself — even as he’s railed against allies’ opposition to the Iran conflict — and this latest order suggests the president is serious about reducing the American footprint on the continent.

The broader strategy remains unclear. The German withdrawal is still in the planning stages, according to two of the U.S. officials familiar with the matter, who like some others, were granted anonymity to discuss internal conversations. It amounts to a relatively minor drawdown of the 38,000 U.S. troops in the country, but sends a signal to European allies that they could pay a price for publicly disagreeing with the White House.

“The Poles certainly have never criticized President Trump, and they do all the things that good allies are supposed to do,” said Hodges. “And yet, this happens.”

The Pentagon recently conducted a review of U.S. troop presence around the globe, although it is not expected to be released publicly. Officials have indicated that the study does not call for a major withdrawal of troops from Europe. But another key document released this year, the National Defense Strategy, pledges to commit more military assets elsewhere and leave European security to European nations.

The Pentagon announced in October that it would not replace an Army brigade that was scheduled to leave Romania late last year, a move that frustrated defense hawks on Capitol Hill.

 

read more in our Telegram-channel https://t.me/The_International_Affairs