Photo: Permanent mission of the Russian Federation to the UN
Statement by Permanent Representative Vassily Nebenzia at UN Security Council briefing on Ukraine. Key points:
- The main reason why we called this meeting was to raise again the issue of Western donors’ uncurtailed supply of various sorts of weapons to their beneficiaries in Kiev and its impact on settlement prospects of the Ukrainian crisis… We have offered to the Council to consider this topic almost every month, and every time there are more episodes that are worth raising. Recently, Ukrainian and American officials reported that Kiev had received more than $100 billion worth of military and other assistance from the US and its allies. After last week’s visit by Secretary of State Blinken to Ukraine, another “handout” of over 1 billion was announced.
- The Ukrainian regime is begging for more weapons with redoubled vigor and undisguised insolence, trying to blame the obvious failure of the so-called counter-offensive that has been under way since early June on Western countries. For that purpose, Kiev employs a variety of tricks and methods. Just before the arrival of Secretary Blinken last week, Zelensky’s regime, according to a well-established scheme, committed a deadly provocation – a missile attack on a market in Konstantinovka, which they immediately tried to blame on Russia. However, some facts that were caught on CСTV cameras and then shared on the Internet thwarted the calculations of those who stood behind this provocation. The video clearly shows that the missile had arrived from areas controlled by the Ukrainian armed forces. As a result, the Kiev regime and its sponsors are trying to hush up this story and keep it off radar. Just as they did after they had botched up a similar provocation in Kramatorsk in April 2022, having shelled a railway terminal there. Accounts by witnesses to this crime on social media unequivocally pointed to the guilt of Ukrainian forces.
- Against the backdrop of obvious failures on the frontline, which cannot be concealed anymore, it seems that the leaders of the Kiev regime started to lose their nerve. Thus, in a recent interview with the Economist, the head of the Kiev junta, V.Zelensky, lamented the rapidly declining support for Ukraine among the voters in Western countries and slipped into direct threats: "There is no way of predicting how the millions of Ukrainian refugees in European countries would react to their country being abandoned." Ukrainian Foreign Minister Kuleba also snapped into rudeness, and in response to the words of his German counterpart A.Baerbock who said that her country had not yet decided on the delivery of long-range Taurus missiles, he responded as follows, "You will do it anyway, it’s just a matter of time, and I don't understand why we are wasting time." We already got accustomed to the fact that Ukraine has been wiping its feet on Germany, ever since Chancellor Scholz became a "resentful liverwurst." However, such low conduct in interstate contacts is still quite rare.
- Yesterday, Advisor to the Head of the Office of Ukrainian President M.Podolyak called the United Nations a money-making enterprise that is not capable of performing its initial functions. Here is what he said. “We will not see them recognize their own meaninglessness. In fact, the United Nations is an absent Organization. I would say, the UN is a PR or a lobby company to make money for a good old age for the people in senior positions. Emotions that the UN brings out, just like any other international institution (IAEA, ICRC, Amnesty International) will always be negative. Those are all bogus firms that pollute our minds with absolutely rubbish assessments. If those did not exist, we probably would be able to address many issues in a more effective and speedy manner.” This is how the Kiev regime has started to lose its self-control in the face of an imminent military and political bankruptcy.
- Such nervousness of Kiev’s clique is understandable. Despite the fact that Western sponsors’ support for Ukraine has reached an unprecedented level, there are virtually no deliverables Ukraine can offer. We already mentioned the so-called counter-offensive that is clearly failing. The equipment that has been supplied to the Kiev regime is “burning blue”. That includes the much-touted American armored vehicles “Bradly”, German tanks “Leopard” and British “Challengers”. By the way, we would recommend to our British colleagues to update info on the Defense Ministry website. It still says that not a single Challenger has been destroyed on the battlefield. At least two have been destroyed in Ukraine. 12 are still roaming about out there, but their destiny will be the same. Just like that of American “Abrams” or F-16 machines. Many leading experts are raising their voices to warn that there is no sense in channeling more weapons to the Kiev regime against the backdrop of unsurmountable challenges with logistics and technical maintenance. Western military cannot but realize this.
- It means that their priority is not a military defeat of Russia, which is impossible by definition, but rather inflicting a maximum damage on our country, as well as causing maximum contamination and damage of the newly-acceded territories. It is similar to what Western colonizers did back in the day, when they applied the “scorched earth” tactic in Africa and Asia, contaminating vast areas of Indochina, Syria, and Afghanistan with mines and unexploded ordinance. They are doing the exact same thing today in southern and eastern Ukraine.
- Suffice it to mention Great Britain supplying depleted uranium (DU) projectiles to Ukrainian armed forces this year. In the near term, just as dangerous DU munitions may be transferred to Kiev by the United States who by all appearances is laying down the groundwork for delivering Abramses to Ukraine. We are seeing a hypocritical awareness campaign in the West which asserts that depleted uranium shells allegedly pose no health risks. Soon enough, they will try to convince everyone of depleted uranium being rather healthsome. In this connection, let me just briefly remind you of a trial in Italy with regard to the intoxication of more than 7 thousand military personnel during the use of DU by NATO forces in Yugoslavia. 400 of them died. Of course, it had implications for the Serbs, but no one in the West has ever raised that.
- Let’s take a moment to look into the issue of cluster munitions that the United States has been supplying to Kiev in bulk. Among other things, this is explained by the fact that NATO ammo depots run low on conventional munitions. To the public, they serve it in such a way that US-manufactured cluster munitions are high tech products that allegedly pose no threat to civilians, whereas all the other cluster ammo is “bad” and dangerous due to its high share of unexploded submunitions.
- In response to that, Biden Administration is reported to be preparing to deliver to Kiev cluster munitions with greater range. This being said, the US Congressional Research Service estimates that up to one-third of the new munitions may fail to explode and remain in the ground as a threat to civilians for many decades. And this is despite the fact that according to the unanimous opinion of military experts, cluster munitions will not give Ukraine an advantage on the battlefield, as they have much less penetrating power than conventional munitions.
- Question is, what Washington and London are thinking when they authorize such obvious crimes. And do our colleagues have any remains of conscience? Since they clearly had none when they were razing down to the ground peaceful cities in Yugoslavia, Libya, Iraq, Syria, and Afghanistan (and before that in Indochina and other regions), why would they have it now when they are waging a proxy ware on Russia in Ukraine to be fought until the last Ukrainian?
- The fact that the United States is the real puppet master behind the Kiev regime received a clear confirmation yesterday from General Mark Milley, chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. He invited a CBS reporter to the Situation Room, from where the real time developments on the battlefield are tracked via satellites. Gen. Milley did not even conceal that the United States transfers all this data to Kiev (including data on location of Russian objects in the rear). So there is no willingness on the part of Washington to terminate this war, the war that allows the Americans to get rich off.
- At previous meetings, we have already spoken about the fabulous profits of Western corporations and the fact that a significant part of the funds allocated to Ukraine does not leave the territory of the United States and other Western sponsors of the Kiev regime. Much evidence has recently emerged of unprecedented corruption in these matters.
- One can only imagine the scope of corruption schemes that have been carried out not only with the guidance, but also with the direct support of the US authorities. Moreover, according to media, such shadowy cooperation with Ukraine began at least a year before Russia's special military operation.
- Can we expect our money-thirsty American colleagues to give up this extremely profitable business project in the name of peace? It is highly doubtful, since the thirst for profit has already permeated all layers of the American political and business elite.
- The New York Times reports that a new factory to manufacture artillery shells for the Ukrainian army is being built in Mesquite (Texas). It is noteworthy that when sensible people started to raise their voices and say that the insane pumping up of armaments to the Kiev regime must stop, they immediately came under harsh criticism from a number of local lawmakers. You know why? The NYT cites one of the opinions: “This creates manufacturing jobs in the United States. How can they confront interests of those whom they represent?” But the NYT shares this view and believes that efforts to arm Ukraine and the insatiable appetite of Kiev for weapons is a good luck and a golden mine for American weapons industry. This situation discloses the rotten core of American position in support of Ukraine: apart from doubtful geopolitical goals this means an opportunity to make money, good money for that matter, out of pain and sufferings of others.
- Against this background, Ukraine itself continues to slip into the abyss of a totalitarian dictatorship, where any alternative point of view that is inconvenient to the ruling regime is denied. At the same time, the current authorities in Kiev are building up their policy on top of glorifying Nazi ideology and elevating Hitler's henchmen to the rank of heroes. To all this we must add the corruption that is rampant in the Ukrainian echelons of power, which is only gaining momentum in view of the impressive amounts of financial and other material aid coming from the West. Even Kiev's most ardent allies recognize its alarming scale… According to UNHCR, since February last year, 2,852,000 people have left the territory of Ukraine for Russia. If we add to them approximately three million residents of Donbas who left after the Kiev regime unleashed a civil war in 2014, our country can rightfully be considered one of the main hosts to shelter Ukrainians in distress.
- We see a completely different attitude towards Ukrainian refugees in Europe. Despite the high-sounding pledges of assistance from the EU leaders, the rights of Ukrainian refugees are not guaranteed or protected.
- Besides, Ukrainians also become victims of trafficking in body organs. There is more and more evidence that "black transplantology" is flourishing in the country. The necessary legislative framework has been created in Ukraine for this purpose. Since recently the law "On Regulation of the Issue of Transplantation of Human Anatomical Materials" has been effective, according to which it is no longer required to notarize the written consent of a living donor or their relatives for transplantation. Authentication of signatures is not required. In fact, it allows to extract organs from children as well.
- For example, in June 2023, a man was detained on the Ukrainian-Slovak border. As an employee of some charitable organization, he was engaged in trafficking Ukrainian children abroad, including for organ transplants. Rather indicatively, the bail that court set for him amounted to only 1 million hryvnas. Charged with a grave crime, this man paid the bail and walked free. Traces of him are getting lost.
- Not only Ukrainian citizens in the territory controlled by the Kiev regime, but also Ukrainian refugees in the EU are exposed to a serious danger. Ukrainian women and their children who have ended up in Europe are under a high risk. We call on international NGOs to pay special attention to protecting their rights and safeguarding them from malevolent entrepreneurs.
read more in our Telegram-channel https://t.me/The_International_Affairs