President of Iran Masoud Pezeshkian and Trump
Russia has warned that a war between the west and its ally Iran would trigger an "irreversible catastrophe", amid reports the US is gearing up to bomb Iranian nuclear targets, ‘The Sun’ writes.
The ominous prophecy comes after the US and Israel launched a fresh round of airstrikes on pro-Iranian targets in the Middle East – as they try to force Iran into a nuclear deal.
Maria Zakharova, from Russia's foreign ministry, said: "The use of military force by Iran's opponents in the context of the settlement is illegal and unacceptable.
"Threats from outside to bomb Iran's nuclear infrastructure facilities will inevitably lead to an irreversible global catastrophe. These threats are simply unacceptable."
The Houthis, an armed Iranian proxy group based in Yemen, said that six people were killed in the land under their control by the bomb wave.
They also claimed the US struck a water project, killing four, in the Mansuriyah District.
Israel launched a coinciding blitz on Syria as it continues effort to cripple the new regime's fighting ability.
They hit military airbases and infrastructure sites in the Syrian cities of Damascus, Hama and Homs on Wednesday.
France has already warned that a war between the US and Iran is "inevitable" unless a nuclear deal between the nations is urgently reached.
Whilst the strikes so far target Iran's proxies, insiders have told The Sun that the US and Israel are planning to unleash a joint blitz directly against Iran's nuclear programme.
Trump insisted "there will be bombing […] the likes of which they have never seen before", if Iran fails to cut a new nuclear deal with the US.
The president set a deadline to the Ayatollah to come to the table to discuss the complete disarmament of all nuclear weapons.
In response to Trump's threats, Tehran demanded a "firm and immediate" strike on the US's Diego Garcia military base, where the president has been amassing a huge strike force.
A note was handed to a Swiss diplomat by an Iranian spokesperson, who condemned and dismissed Trump's statements on the nuclear deal.
The Iranian Foreign Ministry said: "During the meeting, the Iranian diplomat condemned and dismissed the provocative statements that violate international law and the UN Charter."
The Ministry added that their diplomat "formally delivered Iran’s official warning note" which emphasised Iran’s "firm and immediate resolve to respond decisively to any threat".
The Swiss diplomat ensured that the letter would be passed on to Washington, according to the Ministry's statement.
And now, following the fresh US and Israeli strikes, Russia has suggested it would come to Iran's defence with all guns blazing in the event of a direct hit on its ally.
Iran and Russia signed an "strategic partnership" deal in January, though have made no formal commitment to defend each other.
The West has long suspected Iran of secretly developing nuclear weapons - but the regime denies this.
It is feared the country is developing terrifying nuclear warheads for solid-fuel missiles with a range exceeding 1,800 miles (3,000km).
read more in our Telegram-channel https://t.me/The_International_Affairs